How to BBQ Safely
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer. With that comes longer days, hotter weather, days by the pool or beach and some outdoor cooking. Fidelity Home Inspections wants everyone to enjoy and be safe. We provided some tips on how to enjoy the outdoor fun.
We’ve been out on inspections and noticed that the siding in the backyard is warped. This is an indication the grill is placed too closed to the house when it is operating. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends placing your grill ten feet away from any structure including overhangs. This includes bbq grills on wheels and built in outdoor kitchens.
The natural heat in the grill is warm enough to damage the exterior siding of the house. Depending on the siding of the house, the heat can deteriorate the siding quickly. It can even lead to a structure fire.
If your grill is too close to an awning or overhang it could lead to smoke damage. Smoke naturally emanates from your grill into the air. If your grill is too close to your residence or overhang it can lead to smoke damage.
Grills require a certain amount of open space to naturally vent. If your grill is to close to your house or overhang, it can trap the smoke and exhaust gasses near the grill. This is a hazard and can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. If it’s raining outside and you’re thinking about grilling in the garage, think again! This is a major safety hazard and can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or a structure fire.
The grill is designed for smoke and airflow to escape safely from it. If you recently purchased a home or a grill pay attention to the operation of the grill the first few times you fire it up. Make adjustments as necessary.
If you are building an outdoor kitchen and decide to hire a contractor ensure that the contractor is properly licensed and insured. A properly licensed contractor will obtain the proper permits from your jurisdiction and ensure they are closed properly prior to completing the job.
Another way to prevent grill fires is to ensure that your grill is properly cleaned before each use. Debris in the grill, including uncleaned grease in the trap can lead to fires in the grill. The temperatures of a grill can reach over 500 degrees F. This can easily ignite the debris and grease in the grill starting a fire. It is also a wise choice to never leave the grill unattended. Here is a quick video link on preventing fires in your grill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvgvnPpY-k
If your grill catches fire the first thing you should do is turn off the grill’s burners. Remove the food (if possible) and throw baking soda, sand or kosher salt into the fire. Remember that this is a grease fire and water will not extinguish the flames. Close the lid and any air vents to starve the fire of oxygen. It’s also a good idea to have gloves when you are grilling. Here is one quick fire safety video on combating grill fires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJFPkJ9srLM
Here at Fidelity Home Inspections we hope you have a safe and healthy summer. Call us today for all your home inspection needs 609 337 6167.
About the Owner
Athena Deichman is the owner and mascot of Fidelity Home Inspections. She loves eating anything cooked on the grill. Her hobbies include eating dirty socks, walking on the beach and attending “Yappy Hour” with her K9 friends. She is a rescue from Heaven Sent Animal rescue if your are interested in saving a life here is a link to their website https://www.hsarnj.org